Thursday, January 21, 2010

TRIP REPORT – QantasLink (Sunstate Airlines) – Emerald to Brisbane to Emerald – Dash-8-Q300/Q400

13 January 2010 – QF2401 – Emerald-Brisbane – Dash-8-Q300 – VH-SBI

The Emerald Airport terminal is about to be redeveloped (a large three-stage project), and while the current terminal is still operational, there are some obstructions at the outside drop-off area. From the outside it looks like they are constructing a mirror-image of the current terminal. This will be the new check-in area and airline offices. A central part will be the new terminal lounge. Paid parking will also be introduced shortly – I probably am enjoying my last time of free parking at Emerald Airport!

Check-in was smooth as always, although the terminal was quite busy with a full flight on this sector. I made a request for and was given an exit row seat (Row 12) and realised that this flight would be in a ‘Classic’ Dash-8 as opposed to the newer Q400 series. VH-SBI arrived to take us to Brisbane – a surprise to see a Q300 still on this service with most now operated by the larger Q400 aircraft. Boarded quickly and left on time. I managed to squeeze my large camera bag in the overhead locker – QantasLink restrict carry-on to 4kg of which I was probably over!

An uneventful flight – snacks (a bag of nuts and water) and tea and coffee were served about 10 minutes after take off by the two lovely flight attendants. Touched down pretty much on time and with no checked-in baggage was through the terminal and off on my next flight to Sydney with Virgin Blue (a Trip Report for this flight can be found HERE).

16 January 2010 – QF2404 – Brisbane –Emerald – Dash-8-Q400 – VH-QOU

At the conclusion of a big weekend of plane spotting I was ready to fly back home. After my tiring flight from Perth, I remained airside at Brisbane and was able to check-in at the Qantas passenger information desk on the upper floor at Brisbane Airport. After breakfast and some more spotting, I went downstairs to the QantasLink lounge and waited for my flight. A busy part of the terminal with several other regional flights leaving at the same time.

That said though, this flight to Emerald was about half full.

I received a seat toward the back of the plane – about the last row of passengers as five unaccompanied minors joined the flight and sat in the back two rows. The poor flight attendant had her hands full entertaining the kids for the hour and a half flight – I think she only raised her voice once!!

VH-QOU is a fairly recent delivery for QasntasLink and the it still had the new plane smell!! The Q400 is quite roomy and despite not receiving an exit row seat (Row 1 and 2), I had plenty of room for my six-foot frame. The flight was uneventful with snacks delivered about 15 minutes after take-off which was via Runway 01 with the right turn and overfly of Brisbane Airport. We landed in Emerald 5 minutes early – with a quick taxi to gate – straight off and to the car for the hours drive home and a nice warm shower!!

A couple of great flights with QantasLink. I was surprised at how roomy the Q400 seats are with plenty of space to stretch my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment